Friday, February 1, 2013

5 days in Bangkok!

Wow, 5 days in Bangkok was great fun but boy am I tired! Saturday night, after our trip to JJ market, Sue and Lindsey rolled in. 3 crazy ladies from CH and one who wants to move there, all in one suite! The adventures continue! :)

Sunday, we lazed around all day....swam in the pool, ate mangos and sticky rice (Sue's favorite) and got massages. Actually, it was more than a massage. First, she set out a huge sheet of plastic wrap on the massage table. I laid down on it, was slathered with oils and mango and wrapped up like a burrito. She then covered me with a blanket and I laid there for awhile until she unwrapped me, rubbed me again and directed me into a huge tub to rinse off before laying back on the table. This is when the real massaging began. She was a small lady but so strong and used all of her body weight to work her magic. I've never had such an overall relaxing massage in my life! Awe- some :)

For dinner, Sue wanted sushi. She had been to this sushi restaurant in the past but couldn't remember anything about it except what it looked like, and still managed to find it online. Koi was the name, and it was such a treat! Thanks Sue!

Shelby, Lindsey, me, Sue at Koi

 As I walked around Bangkok and looked at the names of some of the stores I wondered why, before choosing a name, would you not make sure the translation was appropriate? I never found the answer to this but did find some very inappropriate names. This jewelry shop in our hotel was one of them :)

Apparently this fella wasn't fazed 

And this skin care product had a very interesting marketing technique....



To top it off, how about some drinks while looking at all this signage? What better place to buy a cocktail then from a bar on the street made from a pink VW bus? 

ToGos
During the days we wondered around. Mostly shopping, exploring and eating. The Thai's love their King, and I find it a bit bizarre how they express this love. Usually in the form of a big billboard. Here's an example of one at the train station. This thing must have been 10 ft high! 

Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)

On my last night in Bangkok, we had some delicious Mexican food at 'Charlie Browns', accompanied by a pitcher of Margaritas that rivaled Mark's at the Fitz! Afterwards, the ladies decided that I needed to experience Khao San and so we hopped on a tuktuk and headed over to this famed street, known for it's debauchery :)

me , Shelby and Sue

Lindsey :)

Crazy Bangkok!

After the pitcher of margaritas, I had this great idea to get a henna tattoo :) Why not, right? I actually really like it and who knows, maybe I'll get a real one like it some day. 

Henna on the street


Feather escaping to birds
This carnival brought out the kid in me and I couldn't resist getting the blue elephant! 



Blue Elephant :)
Me~Sue~Lindsey and our Bucket
To top off  the evening, some local boys put on an awesome breakdancing show in the street. Such talent! Check it out :)




So, I had a great Bangkok experience with the best ladies. Tuesday rolled around and it was time to go. 5 days was enough! Thank you ladies for the wonderful time :) Now off to Chiang Mai and new adventures! 



1 comment:

  1. Have fun in Chiang Mai...beautiful place...can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete