Monday, February 11, 2013

A week in Chiang Mai


It has been over a week since I've posted a blog and it's well over due. So much has happened! Last night I was up until 1 am working on this only to have it disappear. So, this is the second time in the making and I promised myself that it will be ever better. Here goes....

After hanging out with the ladies in Bangkok, I hopped on a train and rode up to Chiang Mai to visit my dear friend Dakan. We became friends some 12 years ago while living on Kaua'i. Dakan is an artist and a writer. We met at the local organic market, Papaya's, where I worked. We got along so well and I went to work for him in his pottery studio, creating masks and plaques of hawaiian hieroglyphs and japanese kanji. Here are some examples of his creations....






Dakan and I also catered holistic, yoga and spiritual workshops under the title, 'Tribe of the Heart'. He taught me what he knew about eating healthy for life and we shared many internal cleanses. I lived on his property where he had an amazing garden and shared with me what he knew about organic gardening. He says I got him out hiking Mount Nou Nou or the 'Sleeping Giant' which was the best exercise he has experienced to date :) I'm so blessed to have him in my life! 

After 20 years on Kaua'i, Dakan felt it was time to move on and find a new home. 2 years ago he decided to take a road trip across the US and visited me in my hometown of Copper Harbor, MI. We spent a week camping and he stayed at my friends cabin, having a true up North experience :) He said it crossed his mind that Copper Harbor would be a great place to write his book but instead ended up here, in Chiang Mai where he retired and has resided for 18 months now. 

Since moving here, he has written a 500 page fiction novel, Shambala - The Path to Paradise. He's been reading it to me since I arrived. It's captivating and deserves to be published so others can experience this amazing adventure! If you are interested in Dakan's artwork and writings, please visit his site:

Since moving here, Dakan has landscaped the entire property with flowers, fish ponds, sculptures and a vegetable garden. Sitting on the front porch watching the fish and drinking a cup of coffee is a wonderful way to start the day.....

Waters bubbles out the head of Genesha

3 Lionhead goldfish and 2 koi

Quan Yin

Thai Budda

There is also a lanai in front of his house where one can do yoga, eat meals and entertain friends...



A few nights after I arrived, the English neighbors in the adjacent studio threw a party! They invited their golfing buddies; 4 folks from England, 4 from Japan and 1 thai woman. Two of the Japanese men own restaurants in Japan and cooked us a feast! Fried chicken appetizers; chicken with veggies 'n pineapple and Tempura shrimp, squid and vegetables. We ate and drank for hours! What fun!




The Chefs!

Party Panorama

Party People!

The following day was the Annual Chiang Mai Flower Festival. I have never seen such beautiful floats.... Unbelievably amazing! See for yourself... keep in mind that these are made ENTIRELY of flowers.









There was also a competition for the best bonsai, cactus, ect. The following won first place for best  Bonsai.



I really liked the dark one the most. Reminds me of something from Lord of the Rings!




I rented a bicycle for 40 bat ($1.23) per day while here and feel this is the best way to get around the city. It's too hot for me to run so at least I get in a workout :) We ride everywhere, in traffic opposite of the US and with out helmets like everyone else. Took some getting used to but now I think I'm ready to use the moped too! 

Chiang Mai is full of beauty and culture. One of my favorite places to visit is the night market. There are so many artist and street vendors selling everything from paintings, to soap, shoes, clothing and trinkets. There are girls dancing and musicians playing. This young woman is dancing to raise money to go to college.


And this girl likes to hula hoop! Just like Amanda ;)



It was a wonderful first week in Chiang Mai and there is so much more to see, but to break things up a bit I decided to go to Pai for a few days. I had heard about Pai, a small town even further north, close to Burma. It boasts of waterfalls, a laid back atmosphere and artwork galore... a hippie haven so I was told... Lol :) I did go, and had an amazing time! I will save that for the next blog which I'll post in a couple days. Thanks all for reading... I hope you enjoyed the story :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment